Sunday, April 3, 2011

Conference Hike


It is Conference weekend for our church which means we gather together at the kitchen table on Saturday and Sunday to listen to the words of the prophet and apostles and other leaders of the church. I love conference weekends. I make German pancakes and we stay in our pajamas and listen while sorting through mail or catching up on photo editing etc. In between conference sessions, we escape the house to go and enjoy the 50 degree weather and the sunshine. It feels like spring.

Yesterday we pulled on our rain boots and headed over to Jensen Lake. We were searching for signs of spring and they were few and far between! It was muddy and snowy but we did spot a lot of geese, some minnows and wood ticks and lots of animal droppings. It is a good thing we all wore rain boots.

After our hike (about 2 1/2 miles) I stopped at the playground for the kids to run wild for a little bit longer. There were three couples there watching their children play. It is interesting for me to notice when I suddenly feel the loss of being a part of a couple. It is not during the day to day, it is when I have a quiet moment and I am around other couples. It happens in the temple or at a ward activity or at the park. There are just these moments of missing that other half. Of having someone to talk to while sitting on the bench watching my children play.

I am so grateful to be busy.


1 comment: