Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Recipe: Eggnog Cookies


There it is, the last of the eggnog. Actually it makes me my stomach a little ill to look at the photo - too much eggnog this season. Actually, I think it was too many sweets in general resulting in a three week sugar headache.

I needed a quick dessert to bring to a dinner last weekend and remembered seeing a recipe for eggnog cookies. They are very pretty baked - puffy and a lovely color. I'm not sure if I really liked them or not - I think I prefer my eggnog chilled in a glass. By the way, that is the only brand of store bought eggnog I can drink. I made the mistake of buying another brand at Target and made the kids drink it all. This recipe would probably be better with the full fat eggnog, but I just used what I had.


1 C. butter, softened
2 C. sugar
1 C. eggnog
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. ground nutmeg (sometimes I put in little more)
5 1/2 C. flour

Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggnog, baking soda, and nutmeg, and mix well. Gradually add flour, mixing well. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic. Chill overnight or 2 hrs. in freezer. On floured surface, roll out half of dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out with flour dipped cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely, then ice and decorate.

Icing:
3 C. confectioners' sugar
1/4 C. butter, softened
1/3 C. eggnog

Beat the confectioners' sugar and softened butter until well blended. Gradually beat in eggnog until icing is smooth.

True confessions: I did not roll these out - too much trouble. I just refrigerated the dough for a bit, rolled them into balls and squashed them with my palm.

No comments:

Post a Comment