Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Savory . . . But Mostly Sweet


On Christmas Eve we baked. Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle, Nutella Cheesecake and two kinds of rolls. Sophie's friend came over for the day and the girls slipped on the Santa aprons and shaped rolls for me. I tried a new recipe from The Bread Bible called My Favorite Buttermilk Dinner Rolls and I was disappointed.

They were very pretty and glossy, but rather dry and I was not a huge fan of the lemon zest either. You can find the recipe here. The other rolls were my Sweet Potato Rolls and they always make me happy - they are a very dense roll and I doubled the recipe so we had about four dozen rolls for dinner and snacks for the next two days.


Though I have been consuming primarily sugar and riding a three week sugar headache, I did also make a big pot of Chicken Vegetable soup as well. Max had been fighting a cough which he then passed on to Calvin so I thought this sounded like a good thing to eat once a day over Christmas weekend. I used a rotisserie chicken to make the broth and then added carrots, onions, green pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, corn, celery and kale. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment