Sunday, October 3, 2010

Recipe - Toasted Coconut Cookies


Two dear friends celebrated birthdays last week, so I pulled out The Good Cookie cookbook and tried a new recipe. I have been doing pretty well at avoiding the sweets around the house, but I could not leave these cookies alone! I do not not normally like coconut, but with the almond and the rum extract, these are like a crumbly, buttery shortcake gift. They are best cooled and I prefer them without the chocolate. I doubled the recipe.

1/3 cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup confectioners sugar divided
1/3 cup sweetened coconut
1/8 t. salt
3/4 cup softened unsalted butter
1 large egg yolk
1 T. dark rum
1 t. vanilla
1 1/3 cup flour

garnish:
3 oz. chopped bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup toasted sweetened coconut chopped

In a food processor, blend almonds, 1/3 c. confectioners sugar until fine. Add coconut and remaining confectioners sugar, pulse until finely chopped. In mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add coconut mixture, beat unit well blended. Add egg yolk, vanilla and rum (I used rum extract - a little more than 1t.). At low speed, add flour. Scrape out dough, pat into disc and refrigerate for several hours. Use flour to roll out to 1/8 inch thick - cut with cookie cutter. Bake at 350 for 11-13 minutes until lightly brown at edges.

If you want garnish, melt the chocolate and drizzle on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment