Monday, February 1, 2010

Fire

Yesterday at church we learned that a family in our ward had lost their home to fire in the middle of the night. They had just enough time to get out of their home but lost everything. After a call to the Bishop, unable to do anything more, the family sat with him for several hours watching their home burn to the ground.

I cannot imagine.
I am glad they were not alone.

The spirit was so strong at church yesterday, and I could not be more proud to be called a member of our church. We serve. It is the cornerstone of every teaching of the gospel. This family is even as we speak, being wrapped in the loving arms of the members of our ward.

They are loved.

Having been on the receiving end of service these last few years more times than I can count, I know what a comfort it is to know that there are friends there to help hold us up when we are lost in the dark shadows of grief.

The children and I sat on my bed last night talking about this family and their loss. We talked about what is most important - each other. Everything else dims in value when we think what could have been lost that night. We talked about what we could do as a family to help.

My heart hurts for them.

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to teach your kids service Stacey! I'm glad you wrote this post. I thought how hard it must be for Lynn and the kids to take this all in. You are so right when you tell your kids that their family is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the reminder of what's really important. heart and prayers from me for those who have lost their home.

    ReplyDelete