Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Patriotic Jello


I was asked to bring patriotic jello to pack meeting last night. We are not a big jello family (much to the kids dismay), so I had no idea how to get that white layer in the center. A quick search on the internet did not help as the only suggestion I found was to fold whip cream into lemon jello which resulted in a color reminiscent of dog pee coated snow.

After two trips to the grocery store for more blue jello, I came up with a plan for the center. I combined 2 pouches of Knox unflavored gelatin with 2 cups boiling water and one cup cold water. I stuck that in the freezer to cool while I whipped a package of room temperature cream cheese. Then, with the mixer running, I added the cold Knox mixture along with a package of full sugar cool whip. It worked! The color is a bright white, it set up really firm and it tastes pretty darn good! I made some extras for after school snacks.

4 comments:

  1. Miriam Feldstein CaseNovember 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM

    That is quite creative! My husband's hometown, Johnstown, NY, is where the Knox company began.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always make 7 Layer Jello for Christmas which has a white layer between each color, and it actually tastes really good. So you could also have done it this way:

    White Layer- 2 C boiling water with 1 C sugar. Dissolve 2 envelopes Knox gelatin in 1/2 C cold water. Stir together. Stir together 2 C sour cream and 2 tsp vanilla and add to water/sugar mixture.

    Cream cheese sounds really good too though, I like your idea. And they came out so cute. Good job figuring out how to do that. Next time you can just send out an e-mail to see if anyone knows how! I would've been happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are certainly creative. I would've never even thought to do that. And it sounds so yummy, too. They turned out so cute. :) Looks like a great 4th of July desert. I'll have to keep it in mind for then. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make layered jello squares and use condensed milk with knox gelatin for the white. For what I make I dissolve two envelopes knox in a cup and a third boiling water and then stir in the eagle brand after it's all dissolved. It sets up really good and tastes great too!

    ReplyDelete