Sunday, September 27, 2009

This Cake Kicked My Butt


I'm not going to lie to you. This cake kicked my butt.

Evidently, I did not have my cake baking mojo working on Friday. I had to bake the cake twice (multi-tasking = overcooked cake), run back to the store for MORE chocolate, one of the fillings did not want to cooperate, the fondant colors (all 6 of of them) took a lot of experimentation, the cake did not want to split smoothly, the white clouds had to be cut by hand, etc. etc. etc.

I breathed a hush sigh of relief when this one was done. I love baking, I find it therapeutic, but this cake made me realize how much more I have to learn!

Dark chocolate cake with alternating layers of whipped white chocolate ganache and whipped bittersweet chocolate ganache, covered with buttercream and homemade fondant. Hopefully the little boy loved his airplane cake!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that cake is amazing! I don't know how you do it. And it sounds delicious too. Hopefully the next one like that will be a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple more things. First, your yellow cake is my absolute favorite, I love that one, I think it's so beautiful!
    And also, does Calvin need a coat? I found the cutest navy blue pea coat on an amazing sale at Gap Kids in size 5, so it might be perfect for him. Let me know and I'll go snag it, it was the last one!
    We can't wait to see you later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachael!
    We are very excited to see everyone and the kids are looking forward to being on a plane again! Hopefully we can get together on Friday - we arrive in the afternoon. I still need to figure out what everyone is wearing to the wedding! Calvin could use a Sunday coat - if it is size 5, it should fit just fine (he is a little small for his age). Thank you as well for the gift certificate for my birthday. I am about 20 thank-you notes behind right now. I can't decide if I'll try and take a girlfriend out for a night away, or take the kids for a special treat! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He loved it! I'm sorry it was such a difficult project for you...I would never have guessed the trouble it caused you...it was perfect! We were all in birthday cake heaven as we devoured it. Kevin said, "Wow! It's my favorite cake!" Thanks so much for all of your hard work...you are an amazingly talented woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks lovely! So many cakes look pretty but don't taste very good. Your cake is beautiful and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete