Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Book Review

"Three Cups of Tea is one of the most remarkable adventure stories of our time. Greg Mortenson's dangerous and difficult quest to build schools in the wildest parts of Pakistan and Afghanistan is not only a thrilling read, it's proof that one ordinary person, with the right combination of character and determination, really can change the world." -Tom Brokaw

For book club last night we discussed Three Cups of Tea : One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time. It is truly one of the most inspiring books I have ever read. I actually finished the book today after several bouts of tears while reading the last few chapters. The book tells the story of a mountain climber who fails to reach the top of K2 and then wanders, lost and weak into a remote village in Pakistan. Touched by the people who nurse him back to health, he makes them a promise to return and help them build a school for their children. From these simple beginnings, Greg Mortenson has made it his life's work to help brining the opportunity of an education to the poorest children of Pakistan and Afghanistan. He is an example to all of us of what we should strive to be and is the epitome of what an American should be. I would encourage you to read this book and if you belong to a book club, recommend this book. It is one of the best books I have ever read.

1 comment:

  1. This book is on my wish list. I have been wanting to read it for so long. I think I will recommend it for book club, great idea! Then it will give me an excuse to just buy it.

    ReplyDelete