Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Crafty Girl - Pilgrim Edition

So we crafted again yesterday. I appear to be running for the mom-of-the-year award around here. Wait, did Max just bring home ANOTHER 2nd grade behavior pink slip yesterday? There goes my chances. Back to the hats. More on Max later.

Inspired by Family Fun Magazine, the kids and I made Pilgrim Hats yesterday. I was feeling crafty.

This is what you'll need. OK, so they are not very "homemadey", but the kids loved them!

First step. Place the cookies face down on a cookie sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.

Step 2 - empty the chocolate chips into a glass bowl. Melt them in the microwave.

Step 3 - Stir the chips until smooth.

Step 4 - Poke a marshmallow with a toothpick and dip it into the chocolate to cover. This is Sophie working hard. (true confession - spell check just corrected me on spelling marshmellow. See, it's doing it again - I thought it was an "e"!! But, I digress . . . .)

Calvin could not stop licking his finger and his toothpick.

Natalie could not keep her tongue in her mouth.

Step 5 - When they have all been dipped and placed on the cookies (use another toothpick to help push them off), pop them in the freezer to cool. Or, if you live in Minnesota, pop them out on the deck for a few minutes!
While they cool, let the kids lick the bowl. Mmmmmm, yummy.

Oh dear, messy. Luckily, this was Natalie, so I just rolled up her sleeves and pretended it never happened. Hee, hee. Sorry, Susan.

Step 6 - draw on a buckle with your yellow icing in the tube. Note to self - next time buy the tips that fit onto the tube of yellow icing!


Then if you are an overachiever, make a darling little pilgrim tag and wrap each hat individually for friends. We made exactly one of these. Happy Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! Thanks for the idea, we will be making these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable... but I feel a belly ache coming on, LOL. We have to try them though :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post, you sound exactly like me!! Don't worry about spell check...it just got me with "exactly."

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made ours today, I will have them posted tomorrow...my son had a lot of fun, both making and eating them...thanks again for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! Thanks for sharing. I made a list of Thanksgiving advent activities to do this November and I am adding this to my list. I am linking to this page. Thanks!!!!!
    http://kerisheerer.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-advent-activities.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto to what everyone else has said. So adorable! I just linked to you:

    http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com/Edible-Thanksgiving-Crafts/Marshmallow-Pilgrim-Hats

    Please let me know if it's okay to link to your projects like this in the future.

    Thanks!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rachael - feel free to use anything you'd like!

    ReplyDelete